Mental health services provide support for people with mental health conditions and their families. If you have a mental health condition, you can get counselling, housing support, and skills training through mental health services.
What are some common mental health conditions?
- Addictions: If your substance use is causing problems in your life but you keep using it, you might have an addiction.
- Anxiety disorders: If anxiety is impacting your life and changing the way you think, feel, and act, it might be an anxiety disorder.
- Cutting and Self-harm: When someone hurts themselves to deal with painful and difficult feelings, it's called self-harm.
- Depression: Depression is a persistent low mood that gets in the way of everyday life and interferes with relationships.
- Eating Disorders: People with eating disorders obsess about food, weight, or body shape.
How can I find out if I have a mental health condition?
You can have a mental health condition diagnosed by a:
- Family doctor. A doctor is a good resource for information and a great place to start getting help.
- Psychiatrist. You can also get counselling and medication from psychiatrists. There's usually a cost to see them unless you have an extended health care plan.
- Counsellor. Counsellors can provide counselling but can't prescribe medication.
What kind of support can I get from mental health services?
- Talk to a professional:
- A family doctor
- Social worker
- Figure out a plan with them.
- Determine what kind of support you will need to follow through with the plan.
- Put supports in place.
- Try the plan.
- Follow up with the professional.
How do I get support from mental health services?
There are several organizations that can help connect you to the right mental health service for you.
You can start with the Canadian Mental Health Association. They provide support information mental health issues, crisis information, and grief or you can speak to a nurse by calling 8-1-1.
But sometimes it's good to know how to navigate the mental health system. For example, what service do you need? What number do you call? Who is the right person to talk to? You can contact Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre and someone there can help you.
What if it's too hard for me to get to a doctor's office?
You can get online medical, wellness, and mental health services through Medeo anytime of the day or night. Think of it as an online clinic that's always open.
How do I sign up for Medeo?
- Enter your information on the Medeo sign up page.
- Check your email to verify your account.
- Start your visit. You'll be logged in and you can talk to a doctor or set up an appointment to talk to one.