Mental health services provide support for people with mental health conditions and their families. In BC we have a province-wide network of Foundry centres that offer integrated health and social services for young people aged 12 to 24. Foundry Centres offer a one-stop shop for young people to access mental health care, substance use services, primary care, social services and youth and family peer supports. All centres deliver free, respectful, non-judgemental, and strength-based services in a youth-friendly space.
What are some common mental health conditions?
- Addictions: If your substance use is causing problems in your life but you keep using it, you might have an addiction.
- Anxiety disorders: If anxiety is impacting your life and changing the way you think, feel, and act, it might be an anxiety disorder.
- Cutting and Self-harm: When someone hurts themselves to deal with painful and difficult feelings, it's called self-harm.
- Depression: Depression is a persistent low mood that gets in the way of everyday life and interferes with relationships.
- Eating Disorders: People with eating disorders obsess about food, weight, or body shape.
How can I find out if I have a mental health condition?
You can have a mental health condition diagnosed by a:
- Family doctor. A doctor is a good resource for information and a great place to start getting help.
- Psychiatrist. You can also get counselling and medication from psychiatrists. There's usually a cost to see them unless you have an extended health care plan.
- Counsellor. Counsellors can provide counselling but can't prescribe medication.
What kind of support can I get from Foundry centres?
Whether you need support for anxiety or depression, want to see a family doctor or are struggling with a stressful situation, Foundry centres will help you get the services you need.
- Connect with the professionals you need:
- A doctor
- Social worker
- Figure out what types of support you need, when you need it
- Put a plan and supports in place for you, and
- Follow up with you
How do I get support from mental health services?
There are currently 8 Foundry centres in BC: Abbotsford, Campbell River, Kelowna, North Vancouver + West Vancouver, Penticton, Prince George, Vancouver, and Victoria. There are another 3 centres due to open soon in Richmond, Ridge Meadows and Terrace.
Don't have a Foundry near you. There are several other organizations that can help connect you to mental health services.
You can start with the Canadian Mental Health Association. They provide support and information for mental health concerns, crisis information, and grief or you can speak to a nurse by calling 8-1-1.
But sometimes it's good to know how to navigate the mental health system. For example, what service do you need? What number do you call? Who is the right person to talk to? You can contact Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre and someone there can help you.
What if it's too hard for me to get to a doctor's office?
You can get online medical, wellness, and mental health services through Medeo anytime of the day or night. Think of it as an online clinic that's always open.
How do I sign up for Medeo?
- Enter your information on the Medeo sign up page.
- Check your email to verify your account.
- Start your visit. You'll be logged in and you can talk to a doctor or set up an appointment to talk to one.