Is my anxiety a disorder?
Everyone feels anxious at times. But if your anxiety is impacting your life and changing the way you think, feel, and act, it might be an anxiety disorder. Here are some signs of various anxiety disorders:
- An intense fear of a specific object or situation.
- A fear of embarrassing yourself in public or worry that people are judging you.
- A constant feeling of uneasiness and difficulty relaxing.
- Unpleasant thoughts and feelings about a past traumatic event.
- Repeating certain behaviours like counting or hand washing because it seems to help stop the anxiety.
- Sudden overwhelming feelings of terror that may include a fast heartbeat, difficulty breathing, dizziness, a fear of having a heart attack, or fear that you’re going “crazy.”