Get a Status Card

A Secure Certificate of Indian Status (Status Card) verifies your First Nations or Inuit heritage. You can get benefits and resources specifically for First Nations or Inuit people once you've got a Status Card. 

Why should I get a Status Card?

If you have a Status Card, you have certain rights and benefits that may not be available to Non-Status Indians or Métis people. This may include:

  • On-reserve housing
  • Education benefits
  • Non-Insured Health benefits
  • Tax exemptions

Am I eligible for a Status Card?

There are two steps. First, you have to register as a Status Indian. Once you're registered, you can apply for a Status Card.

Friendship Centre or your band can help you register or apply for your Status Card.

Am I eligible to register as a Status Indian?

You can register if: 

  • You are part of a band.
  • Your biological parents were or are eligible to register. 

If neither of these are true, but you believe you have a First Nations or Inuit heritage, check these other requirements.

How do I register as a Status Indian?

  1. Fill out and print off the Indian Registration application form. Choose the adult application if you are 18 or older, or the child application if you are under 18.  
  2. Mail your form to: 

The Registrar
Indian Registration and Band Lists
Registration, Revenues and Band Governance Branch
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0H4

Insider Tips

Section C of the application form: If you do not know your band number or the numbers of your parents, leave it blank. It's important to name the band though.

OK, I'm registered. How do I apply for my Status Card?

To apply for your Status Card, you'll need:

  • Your completed application form.
  • Two passport-style photographs with both the photographer's and your guarantors signature on the back.
  • One piece of Valid ID. This can be original identification and they will be mailed back to you. The other option is to photocopy the front and back of your ID and have your guarantor sign and date the photocopies. 
  • Someone to sign the Declaration of Guarantor section of the application form. This can be anyone over 18 who has a Canadian passport and has known you for two years.

Send by mail to:

The Registrar
Indian Registration and Band Lists
Registration, Revenues and Band Governance Branch
Ottawa, ON K1A 0H4

Insider Tip

You have lots of options for places to get your photos done: Wal-Mart, Superstore, London Drugs, and Shopper's Drug Mart all have passport photo services.

Rate this from 1 (easy) to 5 (hard): 

Well, hello there!

Welcome to You're in the right place to learn important life skills find helpful resources, and earn rewards.

Anyone can find info on at any time, but you need an account to earn badges and access learning quests.