Topics & Search


Tuition Waivers

Tuition Waivers

In September 2017, access to free tuition at all 25 post-secondary institutions in BC was granted. In July 2018, tuition waivers were expanded to include trades apprenticeships and training. As of August 1st 2023 the age cap on tuition waivers is removed!

To be eligible for a Provincial tuition waiver you must be:

  • Studying full- or part-time at the undergraduate level at a B.C. public post-secondary institution; the Native Education College or an approved union-based trades training provider;
  • Adopted through the B.C. Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) or Indigenous Child and Family Service Agency (ICFSA); or
  • Formerly in the B.C. Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction Child in Home of Relative Program; or
  • Formerly in any B.C. MCFD or ICFSA (Indigenous Child and Family Services Agency) Legal Status (either while living in B.C. or while placed by MCFD or ICFSA on an Interprovincial Placement Agreement [IPPA]) at the time you turn(ed) 19 or for at least 24 months (730 days) (consecutive or accumulated in any combination).

How do I sign up?

Go to the financial aid office at your school and let them know you might be eligible for tuition waiver as a former youth in care. They will provide you with a consent form from the Ministry of Children and Family Development to confirm your history as a former youth in care.

Which public post-secondary institutions are part of the tuition waiver program?

The links below will take you to the financial aid pages for each institution – some already have the consent forms ready for download!

Capilano University Camosun College
Emily Carr University of Art and Design College of New Caledonia
Kwantlen Polytechnic University College of the Rockies
Royal Roads University Douglas College
Simon Fraser University Langara College
Thompson Rivers University North Island College
University of British Columbia Northern Lights College
University of the Fraser Valley

University of British Columbia – Okanagan 

Coast Mountain College
University of Northern British Columbia Okanagan College
University of Victoria Selkirk College
Vancouver Island University Vancouver Community College
British Columbia Institute of Technology Justice Institute of British Columbia
Nicola Valley Institute of Technology Native Education College


Approved union-based training providers:

  • Boilermaker Training Centre IUOE Local 115 Training Association
  • Construction and Specialized Workers Pile Drivers Local 2404
  • D.C. 38 Joint Trade Society Piping Industry Apprenticeship Board
  • Electrical Joint Training Committee Sheet Metal Workers Training Centre Society
  • Floorlayers Union Trowel Trades Training Association

My school isn’t on the list — why not?

At this time, only public post-secondary schools in BC, the Native Education College, and approved union based trades training institutes are included. If you are at another school, you may qualify for assistance through the Agreements with Young Adults (AYA), scholarships or bursaries, or student loan programs. Check for more information about other resources.

In addition, seven post-secondary institutions offer their own tuition waivers for youth in and from care ABOVE the provincial waivers. If you do not qualify for a provincial tuition waiver, consider reaching out to the following institutions and check out their eligibility requirements!  Additional waivers are available at: UBC, Langara, Selkirk, UVIC, NVIT, VIU, BCIT and JIBC.

Questions You May Have

I was in care, but not for two years in a row. Am I eligible?

Yes, all experiences in care, in a youth agreement or in the custody of family members may be combined to meet eligibility requirements.

Here are two examples that may be eligible:

  1. You were in care for six months at four different times.
  2. You were in care for one year, and then in a transfer of custody for another year.

I was in care, but I was adopted. Am I eligible?

Yes, if you meet the other eligibility criteria, including being in care for at least two years.

What if I change programs?

No problem! Any program at any public post-secondary institution (listed above) is eligible.

Where can I go to learn more about trades apprenticeships and training?

The skilled trades and credentialing system for the province is lead and coordinated by SkilledTrades BC (formerly the Industry Training Authority). If you are unclear about how to get into trades, check out SkilledTradesBC.

The waiver covers the tuition and eligible fees a university or college charges each student. Other school-related expenses, (books or dormitory fees) must be paid by the student. You may be eligible for additional support through The Learning for Future Grant, Agreements with Young Adults (AYA), scholarships and bursaries or student loan programs. Eligibility for these programs varies; check out for more information.

Can I get a tuition waiver while I am on an AYA?

Yes! Each program has different requirements so check out for more information.

Do I have to pay this money back?

No! This is not a loan program.

How long can I receive a tuition waiver?

You can receive a tuition waiver until the completion of your program.

I was told that I was not eligible, but I think I should be. Who can I contact for more information?

If you believe your time in care may have been miscalculated, you can contact the System Navigator with the Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills at

The expanded tuition waiver program is the first of a number of improved supports government is developing for young people who have aged out of care.

Learning for Future Grant

The Learning for Future Grant provides an annual grant of $3,500 per program year to students who meet the eligibility requirements for the Provincial Tuition Waiver Program to assist with additional education related costs that are not covered by the Provincial Tuition Waiver Program (e.g. textbooks, computers, supplies, etc.). For more information, please see the Learning for Future Grant webpage.

I Need Help!

In Crisis Contact List

Watch A Video