How do I set up a bank account?
Get your ID ready
You’ll need to bring two pieces of ID with you to the bank. At least one needs to have your picture on it. Here are your options:
- Driver’s licence
- Canadian passport
- Birth certificate
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Status Card (Certificate of Indian Status)
- BC Services Card (CareCard)
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship
- Permanent resident card
Open the account
Go to the local bank branch and they’ll set up an account for you.
The bank teller should explain the account to you. If not, here are good questions to ask:
- What fees do they charge? Is there a monthly account fee? If so, how much?
- How many transactions do you get a month for your plan? Will they charge if you go over?
The bank will provide you written information about your new bank account.