Topics & Search

Personal Life

How to get your MCFD file

How to get your MCFD file

To receive your file from the Ministry of Children and Family Services (MCFD) you need to submit a Personal Freedom of Information Request. Your MCFD file will have information regarding your time in care in British Columbia.

How do I get my MCFD file?

You can receive your file electronically (by email):

Login with your BC Services Card account, complete the online application and follow instructions to submit your request.


If you'd like to recieve a paper copy of your file or you don't have a BC Services Card:

Click continue without BC Services Care Verification and submit online application.

Insider Tip 

At the end of the FOI process, once your response package is ready for delivery, you will need to go to a ministry office to collect your records and verify your identity in person

How much does it cost?

Requesting your personal information is free.

How long will it take to receive my MCFD file?

They aim to send your file within 30 business days, but there are factors that may delay the process, such as:

  • Incomplete or insufficient details to identify a requested record
  • A request for a large volume of records (for example: if you were in care for multiple years)
  • Consultation with a third-party or another public body is needed

These factors may result in a request for a 30-business-day extension for your request.

Things to consider when you receive your MCFD file:

The contents and details in your MCFD file may be triggering. You are absolutely entitled to receive your personal information; we suggest you weigh the pros and cons.

If you need immediate support, contact the Crisis Centre. They're available anytime day or night.
Call 1-800-784-2433 or Chat.

More comfortable with a text? Text CONNECT 24/7 to 686868 – Kids Help Phone.

I Need Help!

In Crisis Contact List

Watch A Video