If you have a physical or mental impairment that makes it hard to perform daily living activities, you might qualify for financial help. In Canada almost 4 million people have a disability.
Am I eligible for disability assistance?
To qualify you must:
- Be 18 years old (You can apply six months before you turn 18).
- Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- Live in BC.
- Be considered low income.
- Show that your disability is severe and expected to last for at least two years.
- Show that your disability prevents you from completing daily living tasks on your own.
The online Self Serve Assessment and Application will help determine if you qualify.
How do I apply for disability assistance?
- Fill out the online application form. You'll need your SIN. To talk to someone about applying, visit an Employment and Assistance Office or call 1-866-866-0800.
- Search for work. If you don't already have a Persons with Disability (PWD) designation, you have to actively look for work for five weeks and keep track of your efforts on a Work Search Activities Record (pdf).
- Set up an interview. The Ministry will try twice to call you to set up an interview. If you don't answer or return the call, they'll cancel your application. If you don't have a phone they can call, you can call them to set up the interview at 1-866-866-0800.
- Go to the interview. You'll have to bring documents to verify who you are, your income, how much money you have, and your living arrangement. You'll also be asked about your work search, so be sure to bring a copy of your activities record.
- After the interview, if you qualify and don't already have a PWD designation the Ministry will give you an application form.
- Fill out Section 1 yourself.
- Have your doctor fill out Section 2 and
- Mail the form to: Employment and Assistance Office or call 1-866-866-0800.
Watch this video to help you learn about the types of help and process for appiation to disability assistance in BC:
It's a good idea to keep a photocopy of your PWD designation application form.
Watch and learn how to get a a self-serve account with the Ministry: