Get Agreements with Young Adults

The Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) currently provides financial support for former youth in care (Continuing Custody Order or Youth Agreement) between the ages of 19 and 26 to finish high school, go to college or university, or to take a rehabilitation or life-skills program. Learn more here.

*NEW* Changes to the AYA program

As of April 1, 2022, flexibility for AYA life-skills, rehabilitative and mental health programs is extended indefinitely.

This means:

- Requirements for program participation will remain at 5 hours per week for life-skills OR 5 hours per week of mental health/rehabilitative programs OR a combination of both equal to 5 hours).

- You can take programs online or take a combination of life-skills programs that focuses on the areas that are important to you – including cultural connections. 

- Flexibility to access mental health supports, including cultural healing and wellness, will continue to be available for young adults under the rehabilitative program area. 

Reach out to your local MCFD/DAA office to access the AYA under these new guidelines. You can also contact the Representative for Children and Youth at or call 1-800-476-3933. The Representatives Office can support you in making the right connections within your local MCFD or DAA office.

*Coming soon in 2022*

A no-limit earnings exemption so that benefits to young adults are not reduced or impacted based on employment.

*Coming in 2023*

Funding for young people to access life-skills, cultural, and skills training programs.

*Additional upcoming improvements have recently been announced. Click here to learn more.

Am I eligible for the AYA program?

You can apply to AYA if:

1. You had one of the following care statuses on your 19th birthday:

  • Continuing Custody Order (CCO)
  • Youth Agreement
  • In the process of adoption (Family Relations Act)

2.  you are doing at least one of the following:

3.  And are between the ages of 19-27 years old.

Insider Tip

When you leave care, get a letter stating your care status (Many bursaries require you to prove you were in care). If you've already left care, call your last social worker's office and ask them for the letter. You might have to go into an office and show your ID to get it.

What kind of financial help can I get from AYA?

You can get money for:

  • Living expenses
  • Child care
  • Tuition fees
  • Health care

*Coming in 2024*

The post-19 youth transition program duration will be extended from 4 years (48months) to 7 years (84 months), supporting young adults up to age 27 for those who choose to participate in eligible programming

An unconditional income supplement for young adults at age 19, up to their 20th birthday.

Can I get support for my rent?

* Coming soon in 2022*

MCFD will be introducing a rent supplement of up to $600/month to help with rent.

How do I apply? 

To apply for AYA:

1. Fill out the application form.
2. Drop it off at an MCFD office.

When looking for an office:

  1. Click the link above

  2. Enter in your city or town

  3. Look for Child and Family Services offices

  4. Select the one closest to you

3. Wait for the AYA social worker in your area to contact you. It might take a month or so. 

Who can help me fill out the application form?

Anyone at an MCFD office

When looking for an office:

  1. Click the link above
  2. Enter in your city or town
  3. Look for Child and Family Services offices
  4. Select the one closest to you

How long can I stay on an AYA for?

NEW! You can now stay on it for 48 months! 

Rate this from 1 (easy) to 5 (hard): 

Well, hello there!

Welcome to You're in the right place to learn important life skills find helpful resources, and earn rewards.

Anyone can find info on at any time, but you need an account to earn badges and access learning quests.