Who can get a passport?
To apply for an adult passport, you must be:
- a Canadian citizen and
- 16 years of age or older
If you already have an adult passport, you may be able to renew your adult passport.
Find out if you should renew your passport instead of applying for a new one.
If you’re under 16:
You need to apply for a child’s passport. When it expires, you need to apply for a new child’s passport. Only adult passports can be renewed.
How do I get a passport?
To get a passport, you’ll need to:
- Fill out an application – you can fill this out online from this link or you can print and fill out using black or dark blue ink
- Get your supporting documents
- Get your 2 passport photos – find the photo requirements here.
- Find a guarantor and 2 references (these are used to confirm your identity)
What to apply in person?
Want to apply by mail?
Send application and all required documents to:
|Mailing address (non-courier)||Courier address|
|Government of Canada||Government of Canada|
|Passport Program||OR||Passport Program|
|Box 4000 STN LCD 3||22 de Varennes Street|
|Mississauga, Ontario L5K 0A9||Gatineau, Quebec J8T 8R1|
How much does it cost?
5 year adult passport (age 16+) $190.
10 year adult passport (age 16+) $260.
Child passport (ages 0 – 15) $100.
How can I pay if I apply in person?
Credit card or prepaid card (Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express®)
Certified cheque or money order (postal or bank)
How can I pay if I apply by mail?
Fill out the payment section on your application form with any of the following:
- Credit card (Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express®)
- An embossed prepaid card that has raised letters or numbers (Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express®)
- A certified cheque or money order (postal or bank)