A Canadian passport is a travel document that Canadian citizens can use to travel the world.
Who can get a passport?
To apply for an adult passport, you must be
- a Canadian citizen and
- 16 years of age or older
(Insider tip) If you already have an adult passport, you may be able to renew your adult passport.
Find out if you should renew your passport instead of applying for a new one.
If you’re under 16:
You need to apply for a child’s passport. When it expires, you need to apply for a new child’s passport. Only adult passports can be renewed.
How do I get a passport?
To get a passport, you’ll need to:
- fill out an application – you can fill this out online from this link or you can print and fill out using black or dark blue ink
- get your supporting documents
- Proof of Canadian citizenship (original copy)
- Document to support your identity
- get your 2 passport photos – find the photo requirements here.
- find a guarantor and 2 references (these are used to confirm your identity)
What to apply in person?
- Book an appointment or walk into a Service Canada location.
Want to apply by mail?
Send application and all required documents to:
|Mailing address (non-courier)||Courier address|
|Government of Canada||Government of Canada|
|Passport Program||OR||Passport Program|
|Box 4000 STN LCD 3||22 de Varennes Street|
|Mississauga, Ontario L5K 0A9||Gatineau, Quebec J8T 8R1|
Insider tip: Extra documents may need to be provided if you:
- have changed your name
- are replacing a lost, stolen or damaged passport
- want to omit your place of birth on your passport
- update the gender identifier on your passport
June 2022 – there are currently longer than usual wait times for processing passports. If you can, apply well before your travel dates to avoid delays.
How much does it cost?
5 year adult passport (age 16+) $120
10 year adult passport (age 16+) $160
Child passport (ages 0 – 15) $57
How can I pay if I apply in person?
- credit card or prepaid card (Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express®)
- debit card
- certified cheque or money order (postal or bank)
How can I pay if I apply by mail?
Fill out the payment section on your application form with any of the following:
- a credit card (Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express®)
- an embossed prepaid card that has raised letters or numbers (Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express®)
- a certified cheque or money order (postal or bank)