A driver's licence is really useful to have. It gives you independence and opens you up for job opportunities.
Why should I get my driver’s licence?
With your licence, you can:
- Travel to non-transit friendly places and take trips.
- Have better access to jobs. Many jobs require a licence.
- Have more responsibility.
- Enjoy more freedom to go places and do the things you want.
How do I get my learner's licence?
To get your learner's (Class 7L) licence, you should:
- Be at least 16. If you're under 19, you'll need your guardian to sign a consent form.
- Prepare. Study the Learn to Drive Smart manual.
- Go to an ICBC office and pay the $15 fee.
- Pass a knowledge and vision test.
Watch and learn how to get a learner's licence.
How can I practice for my road test?
Find an ICBC recommended driving school to help you get ready for your N (Class 7) road test!
Check with your high school as you may be able to get credits towards your graduation when you complete drivers training.
How do I get my novice driver's licence?
To get your new driver's (Class 7N) licence, you should:
- Have your learner's license for at least a year, without any penalties.
- Book your road test.
On the day of your road test, you'll need:
- A safe vehicle with working brakes, horn, etc.
- Insurance and registration documents.
- Your ID. Before you go, check to make sure yours will be accepted.
- Money to pay for your road test ($35) and - hopefully - your new licence ($75.)
Watch and learn how to pass your road test.