Subsidized housing means the government or an organization is helping to pay your rent. BC Housing and Co-Operative Housing Federation of BC are two main organizations.
Do I qualify?
You may qualify for subsidized housing if you're Canadian and a:
- Low income person or family.
- Person with a disability.
Do I have low income?
Low income means your total family income is below certain limits. It depends where you live. See the income table.
How do I apply?
On the BC Housing website:
Fill out a Supplemental Application if you're in a housing crisis. People in a housing crisis are given top priority. Housing crisis means you are:
- Experiencing homelessness.
- Fleeing violence or abuse.
- Living in poor conditions that are affecting your health.
On the Housing Co-Operatives website:
- Choose your location. Type in your city and click find.
- Fill out an application form for each co-op you're interested in. Some are online. Others are on paper and need to be mailed.
- Keep your application up-to-date while you wait.