Tuition Waivers

In September 2017, access to free tuition at all 25 post-secondary institutions in BC was granted. In July 2018, tuition waivers were expanded to include trades apprenticeships and training.

To be eligible for a tuition waiver you must be between the ages of 19 and 26 and have:

Been in care of government for at least 2 years – includes Voluntary Care Agreement, Special Needs Agreements, Temporary Custody Order or a Continuing Custody Order; or
Lived with a family member (other than a parent) or another adult for at least two years, as part of an agreement or custody order with the Ministry of Children and Family Development or a Indigenous Child and Family Service Agency (ICFSA); or
Been on a youth agreement for at least two years.

Almost 27? Fear not!

As long as you apply for the tuition waiver prior to your 27th birthday the Ministry will cover your tuition for the length of your program. 

In addition, seven post-secondary institutions offer their own tuition waivers for youth in and from care ABOVE the provincial waivers. If you do not qualify for a provincial tuition waiver, consider reaching out to the following institutions and check out their eligibility requirements!  Additional waivers are available at: UBC, Langara, Selkirk, UVIC, NVIT, VIU, BCIT and JIBC.  

For example, UBC’s institution waivers require 1 year of care vs the provincial tuition waivers which require 2 years.

How do I sign up?

Go to the financial aid office at your school and let them know you might be eligible for tuition waiver as a former youth in care. They will provide you with a consent form from the Ministry of Children and Family Development to confirm your history as a former youth in care. 

Youth Futures Education Fund (YFEF)

The Youth Futures Education Fund (YFEF) is available to youth in and from care to help pay for additional expenses while at post secondary school on a provinical tuition waiver!

What can the YFEF cover?

Textbooks, rent, phone bills, food and child care!

 Click here to find the YFEF contact for your school and apply!

My school isn’t on the list — why not?
At this time, only public post-secondary schools in BC are included. If you are at another school, you may qualify for assistance through the Youth Education Assistance Fund (YEAF), Agreements with Young Adults (AYA), scholarships or bursaries, or student loan programs. Check for more information about other resources.

Which 10 unions offer training waivers? 

The links below will take you to each union trainers page.

Construction & Specialized Workers' Union  

D.C. 38 Joint Trade Society

IUOE Local 115 Training Association       

Electrical Joint Training Committee 

Floorlayers Union                                   

Pile Drivers Local 2404    

Sheet Metal Workers Training Centre Society

Piping Industry Apprenticeship Board 

Trowel Trades Training Association

Boilermaker Training Centre

Questions You May Have

I was in care, but not for two years in a row. Am I eligible?

Yes, all experiences in care, in a youth agreement or in the custody of family members may be combined to meet eligibility requirements.

Here are two examples that may be eligible:

  1. You were in care for six months at four different times.
  2. You were in care for one year, and then in a transfer of custody for another year.

I was in care, but I was adopted. Am I eligible?

Yes, if you meet the other eligibility criteria, including being in care for at least two years.

What if I change programs?

No problem! Any program at any public post-secondary institution (listed above) is eligible.

Where can I go to learn more about trades apprenticeships and training?

The skilled trades and credentialing sytem for the province is lead and coordinated by The Industry Training Authority (ITA). If you are unclear about how to get into trades, checkout

The waiver covers the tuition fee a university or college charges each student. Other school-related expenses, (books or dormitory fees) must be paid by the student. You may be eligible for additional support through Youth Educational Assistance Fund (YEAF) or Agreements with Young Adults (AYA). Eligibility for these programs varies; check out for more information.

Can I get a tuition waiver while I am on an AYA or a YEAF?

Yes! Each program has different requirements so check out for more information.

Do I have to pay this money back?

No! This is not a loan program.

How long can I receive a tuition waiver?

You can receive a tuition waiver until the completion of your program.

I was told that I was not eligible, but I think I should be. Who can I contact for more information?

If you believe your time in care may have been miscalculated, you can contact the System Navigator with the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training at

The expanded tuition waiver program is the first of a number of improved supports government is developing for young people who have aged out of care.

A more comprehensive program, with wrap around supports, is being developed in partnership with the Ministry of Children and Family Development, as part of the 2018-19 budget process.

See the full press release and for more information on supports currently available for youth. 

Rate this from 1 (easy) to 5 (hard): 

Well, hello there!

Welcome to You're in the right place to learn important life skills find helpful resources, and earn rewards.

Anyone can find info on at any time, but you need an account to earn badges and access learning quests.