If you didn't graduate high school or want to upgrade to get into college or university, you have options. You can take high school classes at a post-secondary school, a continuing education centre, or online.
I want to go back and finish high school. How do I do it?
You can take high school courses through:
- Public post-secondary schools.
- Continuing education centres.
- BC's online school LearnNowBC.
Do you know your Personal Education Number?
Before you begin, make sure you have your PERSONAL EDUCATION NUMBER (PEN) and some form of identification.
If you do not know your PEN you can:
- Find it on the right hand corner of a pervious report card.
- Contact your last known School District.
- Use GetMyPen to request your Personal Education Number.
Do you remember the last level of school you attended/completed?
This will help you determine what courses you need to complete your goal.
If you are unsure or can't remember, you can:
- Access your Permanent Student Record.
- If you have completed at least one grade 12 course, you can order your transcript. (there is a $10 fee)
How do I apply to a post-secondary school?
Each school will do things a bit differently. Here's how you can find info on applying:
- Choose one of the post-secondary schools that offer upgrading.
- Look for a section called student services.
- Choose academic advising or education adviser.
- Contact the adviser either through email or by phone. They'll want to know your current education level and what you'd like to do. Let them know you want to finish high school.
- Take notes as the adviser tells you the next steps.
How do I apply to a continuing education centre?
At a continuing education centre, you can take high school classes online or in person. Here's how to find one:
- Scan the list of school districts and choose your area. Hint: Click on the website address in the righthand column, rather than the name of the district.
- Look for Programs in the menu bar. Check for programs called Adult Education or Upgrading.
- Not there? Go back to the menu and try Schools. Check for the same thing: Adult Education or Upgrading.
- Read up about the program. You'll probably have to call someone to find out how to apply. The number will be on the program page or under Contact Us.
How do I apply to BC's online school, LearnNowBC?
If you're under 19 and want to take classes online, here's how:
- Go to LearnNowBC.
- Choose your city or town in the School Finder. You don't need to do anything else with the form. Just click search.
- Click on more info and course list when the schools in your area appear.
- Look to see if they have the course you need.
- If they do, call the school to register. The contact information is at the top of the page.
How much does it cost to finish high school?
If you haven't graduated high school before, or you are under 19, then it's free!
If you've graduated high school already and need to upgrade, most courses are free as well!
If there is a course you want to take that does cost money, you can apply for the Adult Upgrading Grant