Beyond bursaries: the AYA program

The Agreements with Young Adults (AYA) program is only for former youth in care (Continuing Custody Order or Youth Agreement). It provides financial support for you to finish high school, to go to college or university, to take a rehabilitation program, or to take a life skills program.

*NEW* Temporary changes to the AYA program

The temporary changes to the AYA program have been extended until March 31st 2022.

This means:

- The hours you need to participate in a program for AYA have been reduced (minimum hours: 5 hours per week of life skills OR 5 hours per week of mental health/rehabilitative programs OR a combination of both equal to 5 hours.
- You can take programs online or take a combination of life-skills programs that focuses on the areas that are important to you – including cultural connections. 

As of Oct 1, 2020, more flexibility to access mental health supports including cultural healing and wellness are available for young adults under the AYA rehabilitative program area. 

Click here to read the full announcement.

Reach out to your local MCFD/DAA office to access the AYA under these new guidelines. You can also contact the Representative for Children and Youth at or call 1-800-476-3933. The Representatives Office can support you in making the right connections within your local MCFD or DAA office.

Am I eligible for the AYA program?

You can apply to AYA if:

1. You had one of the following care statuses on your 19th birthday:

  • Continuing Custody Order (CCO)
  • Youth Agreement
  • In the process of adoption (Family Relations Act)

2.  you are doing at least one of the following:

3. And are older than 19 and younger than 27 years old.

Insider Tip

When you leave care, get a letter stating your care status (Many bursaries require you to prove you were in care). If you've already left care, call your last social worker's office and ask them for the letter. You might have to go into an office and show your ID to get it.

What kind of financial help can I get from AYA?

You can get money for:

  • Living expenses
  • Child care
  • Tuition fees
  • Health care

How do I apply? 

To apply for AYA:

1. Fill out the application form. (If you experience issues opening the form, please email with subject line AYA form and we will send it to you in file format)
2. Drop it off at an MCFD office

When looking for an office:

  1. Click the link above
  2. Enter in your city or town
  3. Look for Child and Family Services offices
  4. Select the one closest to you

3. Wait for the AYA social worker in your area to contact you. It might take a month or so. 

Who can help me fill out the application form?

Anyone at an MCFD office

When looking for an office:

  1. Click the link above
  2. Enter in your city or town
  3. Look for Child and Family Services offices
  4. Select the one closest to you

How long can I stay on an AYA for?

You can stay on an AYA for 48 months.

Which life skills programs are eligible?

Life Skills Programs Eligible for AYA-Funded Young Adults



What program



Archway Community Services

Stepping Stones

Lisa Hedrick

Campbell River

Laichwilthach Family Life Society

Aboriginal Life Skills Program



Zero Ceiling 

Work 2 Live



The John Howard Society of North Island

The Station - Supported Independent Living



New Opportunities for Women Canada Society (NOW)

The Essential Program



A Way Home Kamloops

Life Skills

Sadie Hunter: or Madison Smith:


New Westminster

Aunt Leah's Place

Branches AYA Life Skills Program

(604) 525 1204 ext. 234

North Vancouver

Hollyburn Family Services Society (HFSS)

Life Success Program


Prince George

Carrier Sekani Family Services (CSFS)

Bridging to Employment Life Skills to Success


Prince George

Prince George Association for Community Living




Options Community Services (OCS)

Supported Youth Independent Housing Program



Covenant House Vancouver

Rights of Passage



Pacific Community Resources Society (PCRS)

Youth Housing Services



YWCA Metro Vancouver


604-895-5791 604-202-7011 (cell)

Vancouver Island

Prana Services Inc

Life Skill and Outreach program

Linda Foster -




Rate this from 1 (easy) to 5 (hard): 

Well, hello there!

Welcome to You're in the right place to learn important life skills find helpful resources, and earn rewards.

Anyone can find info on at any time, but you need an account to earn badges and access learning quests.